Friday, August 10, 2012

I Am a Bus Driver

I am a Bus Driver

We all know that school teachers are underpaid for what they have to do in this day and age. Let's talk a second about what school bus drivers do every day. I speak from experience. We drive a 16,000 pound vehicle filled with your children to and from school every day. As a rule we do so safely and with out any problems.

We are responsible for making sure your child gets across the street safely. We do our best to make sure your child is not bullied while in our care. We are not allowed to befriend your child lest we be thought a predator. We are not allowed to discuss your children's behavior problems with you. If little Johnny puts his hands on little Suzy in an inappropriate manner, we have to jump through hoops so you can get that information from the school not us. Schools buses in the district I work in have up to 72 students at any given time. This is because of budget cuts, not because of the lack of caring on the part of the district or the bus company.

Bus drivers on a daily basis put up with people cursing us because we made them stop when they were in a hurry. We have that stop sign on our buses for a reason people, do not run through it. Every time you pass a bus with that sign out you are putting children in danger. All we want to do is pick up or drop off our babies safely. Yes I said our babies. I say this because despite the rules we get attached to your kids. When they lose a tooth and brag about it to us we smile just like you do. When one is sick, or hurt we cry just like you do.

A vast majority of people who drive a school bus, do so because they love the job. The greatest gift I have ever received from a student was a hand written card that said, "Thank you for keeping us safe".

Driving a school bus as a rule is almost a calling. I know people that have retired from one career, and started driving a bus, just for something to do. They keep driving for the love of the job. I for one recently got a job working in the oil field and do not need to keep driving a bus. I am still going to be a substitute bus driver when I am not working in the field. Why, you might ask. because I am a bus driver. I am underpaid for what I do and I have too many children on my bus at one time. I have no other adult on that bus but me. But, I am a bus driver damnit, and that is what i do. There are many more like me and we do it because it needs to be done.

As the new school year starts, please take the time to know who your child's bus driver is. If you child has some special need or health problems, drop your driver a note. The law will not allow the district to share that information with the drivers, as a rule. There are very few exceptions to this.

Now a little note for all my bus driving friends. Have a great year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment